The best time to visit Savannah is from March to July when the weather is warm and pleasant and the flowers are in full bloom. Mid to late summer can bring extreme heat and humidity which can make it unpleasant for some visitors. The winter months of January and February is low season - at this time you will see a drop in the temperatures. The fall from mid-September through mid-November is a good time to visit Savannah when it is uncrowded, yet still seasonably warm.
- January is the coldest month of the year in Savannah and is the peak month of the city’s winter. Average high temperatures reach 60°F (16°C) while the average low temperatures will sink to 39°F (4°C).
- In February, the average temperature increases by a few degrees with the high temperature average at 60°F (16°C) and the low temperature around 39°F (4°C).
- Spring comes to Savannah in March along with warmer temperatures. Average high temperatures hover in the low 70’s Evenings will require a light jacket or sweater and may drop to around 48°F (9°C).
- In April, temperatures creep up further to an average high of 78°F (25°C). During this month, many of the spring foliage and flowers are at their best, making this month one of the best to enjoy Savannah’s gardens and arboretums. Low temperatures reach 54°F (12°C).
- May is when the summer-like weather returns with the average high temperature jumping to 85°F (29°C), while the average low temperature is a comfortable 62°F (17°C).
- Summer heat is in full swing in June with average highs reaching 90°F (32°C). Low temperatures average at 70°F (21°C).
- July is the hottest month in Savannah with day time highs peaking into the low 90s. Lows only drop to the mid 70s at night. Summers can als bring intense humidity so plan for shady activiites or visits to Tybee Island beach.
- August brings continued heat, but also quite a bit of rainfall. Precipitation averages 7 inches (167 mm) for the month with average day time highs still in the low 90s.
- Savannah slips into autumn in September with more comfortable temperatures and less humidity. Visitors can expect day time highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 60s.
- October brings cooler temperatures with the average high dropping to 78°F (26°C) and the evening lows hovering in the upper 50s°F (14°C).
- November is driest and coolest month with the average day time high in the upper 40s to low 50s. Bring a jacket and warm sweaters if visiting Savannah during Thanksgiving.
- Savannah is December brings temperatures that hover in the low 60s during the day with average lows sink to 41°F (5°C).
Sightseeing in general is best during March through May and September through November when the climate is not too hot and not too cold. To enjoy the best of Savannah’s festival season, plan your trip around the month of March, but book your vacation rental well in-advance, as high season books up fast!
Tybee Island Weather
Visitors to Tybee Island, Georgia can expect a pleasant climate! The warm spring and summer days are refreshingly offset by the cool breezes rolling in from the Atlantic Ocean. During the fall and winter months, visitors can plan on enjoying mild temperatures and plenty of sunshine.
On average, the warmest month is July with highs well into the 90s
On average, the coolest month is January.
The most precipitation on average occurs in August.
Hurricane Season runs June 1 to Nov. 30.